Long Range Traverse
From 10/07/2021 to 26/08/2021
Departure dates & prices
Dates Availability Price
Be one of the few to experience postcard views atop the Westernbrook Gorge.
Feel dwarfed by the fjords on a boat ride in Western Brook Pond.
Be led through truly remote backcountry on an unmarked route.
Keep your eyes open for caribou, moose, and other wildlife.
Meals as indicated in the itinerary3 nights wilderness camping2 night twin share cabinsAll camping and kitchen equipment excluding sleeping bag and matPark fees and permitsAll internal transfersAirport transfers (to/from Deer Lake)Licensed wilderness guide(s)Emergency equipment (first aid kit, SAT phone, etc)Great Canadian Trails will endeavour to arrange for single travellers to share accommodation with another participant of the same gender, however if we can not match you up a single supplement will be applicable.
If you prefer not to share a single supplement is payable to guarantee your own room.
The cost of the single supplement is listed above.
Note regarding single rooms: The single supplement guarantees the privacy of your own room, however, rooms can at times be small and in some places may not enjoy the same facilities as double/twin rooms.
While on the trek, you will stay in tents with two people per tent.
Before and after the trek, we will stay in cabins in twin share occupancy (typically these are cabins with two bedrooms, sharing one bathroom).
Most groups are made up of a mixture of single participants and couples.
If you are travelling alone you will share accommodation (including tents) with someone of the same sex.
This usually sorts itself out naturally.
A single tent (3 nights) is not available, due to weight restrictions and in order to keep our environmental footprint to a minimum in the back country.
Please note that the vast majority of participants are non-smokers.
If you plan to smoke during the trip, please let us know in advance so we can best manage tent/room arrangements.
Of course, we request all participants to be courteous of fellow hikers at all times and to take responsibility for their role in creating a harmonious group dynamic.
Group Size: 2 - 8.
Day 1 - Arrive Gros Morne National park Arrive Deer Lake and transfer to pretty Rocky Harbour on the north side of Gros Morne National park. The approximately 1hr drive is a beautiful one and a great introduction to the topography and and beauty of the park. A 5pm thorough briefing will take place with the trek guides in order to go through the trek plan and, most importantly, organize our packs. Enjoy dinner and overnight in a rustic yet cozy cabin.
Day 2 - Boat Tour and Hike out of Gorge (Hike 6-8hrs/9km, +550m) This morning, we load up then walk the flat and popular 3km trail to the shore of Western Brook Pond (lake) - The location of an information centre and where a tourist boat departs for tours of the dramatic fjords. We take an hour-long boat ride (either the tourist boat, or a small private motor boat) to the innermost point of the lake where a small, square dock marks the start of the Long Range Traverse. We wave goodbye to our ride and head into the lush valley toward the wall of the gorge. Then, it's about 600m up along wet, rocky switchbacks with some squeezing through and scrambling around boulders before we find ourselves at the top, out above the trees and looking back across the dramatic glacier-carved landscape for the postcard-perfect views. The incredible, otherworldly terrain ahead of us beckons exploration. We set up camp soon after our ascent and enjoy a night under the stars.
Day 3 - Long Range Traverse (Hike 6-8hrs per day/Approx. 20km, +/-600m over 2 days) We are now walking through the most northern section of North America's Appalachian Mountains. There isn't a single trail marker along this 35km route which is packed with side trips and navigational puzzles including meandering footpaths of caribou. Our experienced guides expertly lead us through this pristine landscape, around countless peat bogs and brooks that dot the Long Range plateau. Our way is lined with 'tuckamore' and spruce groves tucked between knolls of heather and bare-bone granite. Fog often cloaks the highlands in June and July, but we hope for clear skies and incredible ocean views at the cliffy edges of Ten Mile Pond and Baker Brook Pond. For our final night on the Long Range, we set up camp overlooking iconic Gros Morne Mountain.
Day 5 - Complete Long Range (Hike 6-8hrs/Approx 8km, -550m) We hike from the Long Range Mountains down to the edge of Gros Morne Mountain and finally to its base at sea level. Usually an afternoon exit from the trek allows for ample time to enjoy the evening back in town and chat about the experiences and stories from the incredible past week in the back country, where few visitors have explored. Tonight, we are rewarded with showers, a hearty farewell dinner, and comfortable cabin accommodation.
Day 6 - Tour Concludes After breakfast, we are transferred to Deer Lake Airport where services conclude (approx 1hr drive)
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 30 June 2021 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.
Tell us about your travel plans